Follow this free crochet seal pattern to make an adorable amigurumi seal! This project works up quickly and would make a great Christmas gift!
Created by Guest Designer Carolyne from Sweet Oddity Art
This post contains affiliate links meaning I (Ashley) may receive a small commission from purchases made at no extra cost to you.
Powder the Seal Pup is a quick and small project. Minimal sewing and works up well in bulkier yarns.
They measure 8″ long from front of head to back of tail when using a D hook.
Here is what you will need to follow this adorable crochet seal pattern.
Stitch Key (US Terms)
mr= magic ring- crochet single crochet stitches in to the adjustable loop
ch= chain stitch
sc= single crochet stitch
sl= slip stitch
dc= double crochet stitch
BLO= back loops only ch= chain stitch
F/O= Fasten off sc= single crochet stitch
hdc= half double crochet sl= slip stitch
FLO= front loops only dc= double crochet stitch
inc= increase- make two single crochet stitches in the same stitch
inc3= 3 sc in the same stitch
dec=decrease- crochet two stitches together using the decrease method
(4 sc, inc) x 6= repeat the pattern between parentheses 6 times
8 inches from bottom to top of head with weight 4 yarn and a 3.25 mm hook.
This is an intermediate pattern- suitable for novice crocheters, requires patience and precision when assembling the seal and basic crochet skills.
- Do not join rounds unless stated, work in a continuous spiral
- Use a stitch marker to mark the beginning of each round
- All stitches are worked in both loops unless stated otherwise in the pattern
Crochet Seal Head and Body
Crocheted from front of head to back With Color A:
1. Make 6 sc into a magic ring= 62. Increase in each st around= 12 3. (sc, inc) x 6= 18
4-6. sc in each st around
7. 2 sc, (sc, inc) x 6, 4 sc= 24
8. 2 sc, (2 sc, inc) x 6, 4 sc= 30
9. sc in each st around
10. 2 sc, (3 sc, inc) x 6, 4 sc= 36
11. 2 sc, (4 sc, inc) x 6, 4 sc= 42
12. 2 sc, (5 sc, inc) x 6, 4 sc= 48
Place eyes between rounds 9 and 10, leaving 10 holes between them.
Place the 1st eye after the 2nd increase. Count 10 holes after that and place the 2nd eye.
If you want the sunken eye look, do not place the backs of the eyes on until round 34.
Place the nose between rounds 2 and 3, in between the eyes.
13- 18. sc in each st around
19. 13 sc, (dec, 2 sc) x 6, 11 sc= 42
20. 13 sc, (dec, sc) x 6, 11 sc= 36
21. 13 sc, dec x 6, 11 sc= 30
Now for the eyes.
Stuff the head well. Cut a long piece of yarn and remove the eyes. Place the needle in the hole where the first eye was and insert the needle into a hole next to the eye hole. Go back and forth between each eye hole repeating the process from the first eye. Pull slightly on the yarn after going through each hole. Do this about 3 times on each side until you reach the look you want.
Follow the pictures for help. There is also a youtube video I have for extra help on this process.
22. (3 sc, dec) x 6= 24 23-24. sc in each st around Stuff the body as you work 25. (3 sc, inc) x 6= 30
26. (4 sc, inc) x 6= 36
27. sc in each st around 28. (5 sc, inc) x 6= 42
29. (6 sc, inc) x 6= 48 30-34. sc in each st around 35. (dec, 14 sc) x 3= 45
36. sc in each st around 37. (dec, 13 sc) x 3= 42
38. (dec, 12 sc) x 3= 39
39. sc in each st around 40. (dec, 11 sc) x 3= 36
41. (dec, 10 sc) x 3= 33
42. Sc in each st around
43. (dec, 9 sc) x 3= 30
44. (dec, 8 sc) x 3= 27
45. Sc in each st around
46. (dec, 7 sc) x 3= 24
47. (dec, 6 sc) x 3= 21
48. Sc in each st around
49. (dec, 5 sc) x 3= 18
50. (dec, 4 sc) x 3= 15
51. Sc in each st around
52. (dec, 3 sc) x 3= 12
Work 5 sc, You are going to sc the round in half. Work a sc to the opposite side of the circle
Now you are going to start making the fins: Continue around one of the circles
1. Increase in each st around= 12
2. (3 sc, inc) x 3= 15
3. (4 sc, inc) x 3= 18
4-5. sc in each st around
6. (sc, dec) x 6= 12
7. sc in each st around
8. dec x 6= 6
F/O and sew the hole closed.
Attach the yarn to a stitch on the 2nd circle Repeat rounds 1-8
F/O and sew the hole closed.
You will now have two rounds that are 6 sc each. Refer to the pictures
With Color A:
1. inc in 2nd ch from hook, 4 sc, inc3, working on the opposite side of the chain: 4 sc, inc= 15
2. inc x 2, 4 sc, inc x 3, 5 sc, inc= 21
3-4. sc in each st around
Do not stuff the fins
5. dec, 9 sc, dec, 8 sc= 19
6. dec, 8 sc, dec, 7 sc= 17
7. sc in each st around
8. dec, 7 sc, dec, 6 sc= 15
9. (dec, 3 sc) x 3= 12
10-11. sc in each st around
12. (dec, 2 sc) x 3= 9
13-14. sc in each st around
Work 2 sc, fold the fins in half and sc the opening closed.
F/O and leave a long tail for sewing
Crochet Seal Assembly
Head and Body:
Take a long strand of black thread and thread your needle. Insert the needle into a hole above the eyes.
Bring the needle to a hole a few rounds above the eye. Embroider an eyebrow. Repeat for the 2nd side. Weave in any tail ends.
1. Thread your needle with a long strand of black embroidery thread. Insert the needle into a hole on the back of the fin.
Bring the needle to a hole in between rounds 5 and 6. Bring the needle around the front of the fin to the back.
Insert the needle into a hole and embroider a line. Repeat 3 more times. You will want the lines one hole apart from each other.
Weave in any tail ends.
2. Turn the body upside down and pin the fins onto the body approximately between rounds 29 and 33.
3. Sew the fins onto the body.
1. If you want add some cheeks with blush or red crayon.